This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9943 / 51°59'39"N
Longitude: -2.1551 / 2°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 389444
OS Northings: 232881
OS Grid: SO894328
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.V9X
Mapcode Global: VH93T.L4JJ
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201291
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376900
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 OLDBURY ROAD
859-1/6/323 (East side)
27/07/73 Church of Holy Trinity
(Formerly Listed as:
Holy Trinity Church)
Anglican parish church. 1837, architect Ebenezer Trotman.
English bond brickwork, limestone ashlar dressings, steeply
pitched slate roof.
PLAN: 7-bay lofty nave with narrow added chancel and
projecting central west porch contained within full-height
EXTERIOR: entrance front is high brick pointed arch in 3
chamfered brick orders, 4-centred lancet in gable, to diagonal
buttresses in 3 offsets, stone weatherings, and octagonal
brick pepper-pot turrets to stone cappings and finials.
Contained within this a projecting porch with moulded stone
ogee-gable to pair of plank doors with decorative strap hinges
under plank tympanum in pointed arch.
All set forward from main gable with gable swept down to
haunched kneelers, and diagonal buttresses to 3 offsets.
Plinth to 2 chamfered offsets, moulded raking cornice and
blocking course to moulded saddle-back coping. Each side of
set-forward unit a plank door in segmental moulded arch.
N and S sides have 7 lancets in double chamfered brick jambs
and pointed arches to brick drip, separated by buttresses to 3
offsets; end buttresses diagonal. Square central ridge turret
to slate pyramid, wood louvres, copper-clad skirt. Lower
narrow chancel bay with brick coping and cornice above 4-light
Perpendicular-style window with 2 transoms, diagonal
buttresses, and flanking hipped roof vestries. East gable to
nave has raised centre section with gablet and cross above
lancet with louvres.
INTERIOR: single space 6-bay nave with double gallery at west
end, one bay chancel and shallow projection narrow sanctuary.
Flat boarded ceiling above ties to composite trusses on braces
to stone corbels, plain walls, moulded segmental pointed rere
arches and jambs to windows picked out. Small red quarry tiles
to aisles with yellow slips to cast-iron gratings to heating
ducts. Galleries raised on octagonal stone columns to
basket-handle arches with panelled gallery fronts, and above
original panelled and glazed entrance lobby, with side access
to galleries by wood stairs.
Sanctuary bay through 4-centred moulded arch to painted
celure, stained oak reredos and panelling, including open
screen to organ gallery to left, with 2-light traceried
opening to nave, 1850s and later stained glass to windows, and
to first 3 windows each side of nave. Original boxed pews in
stained pine to nave with central and 2 side blocks, some
removed at front with projecting platform. Octagonal stone
Various tablets, and, left of chancel, dedicatory panel to
John Terrett, benefactor (d.1852), giving consecration date
August 30th 1837.
A simple but remarkably unchanged interior from the
pre-Tractarian phase of Anglican church design, the
congregation being noted in the C19 for its Low Church
sympathies. The church was built to serve a rapidly expanding
area called The Oldbury, built up after the enclosure of
Oldbury Fields in 1811.
Listing NGR: SO8944432881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings