History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9924 / 51°59'32"N

Longitude: -2.1576 / 2°9'27"W

OS Eastings: 389276

OS Northings: 232673

OS Grid: SO892326

Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.1B4

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K57Y

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 27 July 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201299

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376922

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 THE CROSS
859-1/6/341 War Memorial
27/07/73

GV II

War memorial. c1920. Limestone. A tapered octagonal shaft with
moulded capital and a cross, on an octagonal plinth cut
through by a square base with diagonal buttresses at centres
of the sides, carrying 4 pinnacles. All set on a broad 3-step
hexagonal base, the lowest step with nosing, on a final
hexagonal platform which has been rounded, and protected by 6
stone bollards. The cross carries a central shield of arms,
and the base has a series of 6 bronze plates with the names of
the fallen inscribed, dated 1914-1919 (sic). A further plate
has been added covering the years 1939-1945.
The memorial is at the meeting of the town's three main
streets, previously occupied by a medieval cross, demolished
in 1650, and later by a market hall: Dyde (1798) notes that on
the spot "..... there was until recently a Tolsey or Town Hall
.... very old and of mean appearance", which was said to be in
the way of traffic. The new Town Hall (qv) in High Street
replaced this former building in 1788.
(Dyde W: History and Antiquities of Tewkesbury: Tewkesbury:
1790-).


Listing NGR: SO8927632673


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.