This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5422 / 54°32'31"N
Longitude: -1.9237 / 1°55'25"W
OS Eastings: 405032
OS Northings: 516331
OS Grid: NZ050163
Mapcode National: GBR HH0X.9J
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.F356
Entry Name: Market Cross
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388754
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0516SW MARKET PLACE
770-1/6/125 (South side)
24/02/50 Market Cross
(Formerly Listed as:
Market Cross, Cobbles surrounding
Market cross or butter market. At various times also Town
Hall, court room, lock-up and fire station. Dated 1747. Built
at the expense of Thomas Breaks. Ashlar with roofs of
graduated slates. Octagonal plan.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey tower with pent arcaded shelter. Dwarf
walls, graduated to accommodate the slope of The Bank, support
Tuscan arcade with 4 columns to each side (24 in all), and
entablature supporting steep pent roof. Entrance in centre of
Market Place side to north. Within arcade, octagonal base of
tower has keyed arches with impost bands and paved central
space. Above arcade, sill band to Venetian windows with
glazing bars on north, south, east and west sides, and
round-headed niches on alternate sides. Deep eaves cornice.
Hipped roof supports high lantern with ogee dome and
weather-vane finial. Base of tower contains renewed winding
stair with newel posts. On second floor, above entrance, a
stone panel inscribed: 'THIS BUILDING WAS/ ERECTED 1747 AT/
THE EXPENSE OF/ THOMAS BREAKS, ESQ/ NATIVE OF THIS PLACE'.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: blue plaque within arcade gives history of use of
structure; C19 painted notice records that the Corn Returns
for the Town of Barnard Castle are to be made and delivered at
the Inland Revenue office, Hall Street.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: County Durham:
Harmondsworth: 1983-: 87).
Listing NGR: NZ0503216327
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings