This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5415 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9104 / 1°54'37"W
OS Eastings: 405895
OS Northings: 516254
OS Grid: NZ058162
Mapcode National: GBR HH3X.6R
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.M3HQ
Entry Name: Chapel Immediately East of Barnard Castle School
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201331
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388778
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/7/148 (North side (off))
22/02/73 Chapel immediately east of Barnard
(Formerly Listed as:
Barnard Castle School Chapel)
School chapel with walls and steps attached. 1910-11. By WD
Caroe; c1970 porch. Snecked stone with ashlar plinth and
dressings; roof of small Cotswold slates.
PLAN: 6-bay nave and sanctuary with shallow central
ritual-north organ console bay, north-west porch, and west
organ loft. Ritual east is geographical north. Free
Perpendicular/ Arts-and-Crafts style.
EXTERIOR: all windows have wide 2-centred arches, with
elliptical tracery to transoms and cusped tracery to heads,
except in outer lights which are cusped below and daggers
above. Bays are defined by coped buttresses with offsets, and
angles by full-height stepped buttresses with ogee gablets.
East window has deep head to wide pointed arch springing from
angle buttresses, with 2:3:2 lights separated by wide mullions
rising above buttresses which stand free above sill level.
2-light louvred vent above has raised segmental moulded head.
Console bay has gable parapet over single light in recessed
panel with stepped head. Low panelled and studded door at east
end of north elevation has band hinges of decorative
wrought-iron. Double boarded south-west doors with elaborate
wrought-iron hinges in segmental arch, and later porch has
side buttresses flanking many-chamfered segmental head under
West front has canted corners defined by angle buttresses,
with shouldered head to undercroft door in south-west angle;
west window has 1:3:1 lights, the central over high blind
panel, recessed behind free-standing battlemented arch
springing from angle buttresses. Paired chamfered rectangular
lights in high undercroft.
Roof has stone gutter spouts from high parapet with
roll-moulded coping; gable coping; east stone cross finial.
Low walls flanking steps to porch have chamfered stone coping.
Pierced stone drain cover slabs set in ground below eaves
INTERIOR: plaster with ashlar dressings and undercroft vault;
waggon roof. West bay contains organ loft and entrance. Bays
defined by pointed arched ribs with continuous wide, slightly
hollowed chamfers and big broach stops; arches stand free from
walls with ties at eaves level. Stone reredos with big billet
moulding contains painting `Christ the Consoler' of 1848 by
Scheffer, the gift in 1928 of WAH Hutton. Nave walls have high
wood panelling with blind tracery and battlemented frieze,
below eaves level stone parapets screening heating pipes. 4th
bay north console gallery has stone parapet on stone tierceron
vault; corresponding south choir gallery has shorter ribs
supporting parapet. FURNISHINGS: include carved wood
Perpendicular style altar; fluted stone piscina with aumbry;
wood entrance screen; c1989 terracotta and Welsh slate floor.
Baroque painted organ case by Father Willis rebuilt and
STAINED GLASS: includes 1920 war memorial east window perhaps
by H Wilkinson showing Christ in Glory above a Crucifixion;
1913 Richardson Memorial window by H Wilkinson with Caroe;
choir window in thanksgiving for safe return of many from the
Great War; porch left window represents John Baliol d.c1269,
founder of the Hospital of St John, Barnard Castle, and the
right Benjamin Flounders, 1769-1846; their trustees were the
builders of the school. Much unsigned glass of high quality.
(Hitchcock RC: The History of Barnard Castle School 1883-1933:
Listing NGR: NZ0589516254
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings