History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8, Castle Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckingham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9988 / 51°59'55"N

Longitude: -0.9893 / 0°59'21"W

OS Eastings: 469482

OS Northings: 233855

OS Grid: SP694338

Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.NP7

Mapcode Global: VHDT8.S1V1

Entry Name: 8, Castle Street

Listing Date: 3 April 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201367

English Heritage Legacy ID: 377126

Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Buckingham

Built-Up Area: Buckingham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Buckingham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buckingham

Listing Text


BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 CASTLE STREET
879-1/6/25 (North side)
03/04/73 No.8

GV II

Cottage. Early C18, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in Flemish
bond with flared headers. C20 plain-tile roof, brick end and
front lateral stacks. 2-unit plan.
2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Central 6-panel door with
round-arched head and glazed top panels to arch, in C20 glazed
conservatory porch. 3-light thin wood mullion and transom
window to ground floor right with central casement and painted
flat-arched brick head. 2-light casement to ground floor left
and to 1st floor left and right, with similar heads. Blank 1st
floor window with round-arched brick head. Small open pediment
above framing 2-light casement with thin wood lintel. Rendered
plinth with cellar window to left. Brick-coped parapets and
pediment.
Forms part of a group of 3 cottages with Nos 9 & 10 (qv) which
have a strong resemblance to the Red Buildings built at the
expense of Earl Cobham of Stowe after a disastrous fire in the
town, which occurred 15 March 1725, rendering many families
homeless. Those cottages stood in the old Cow Fair at the
North End and were demolished 1866. Nos 8-10 are likely to
have been built at the same time, perhaps as part of the same
development.


Listing NGR: SP6948533857

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.