This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0003 / 52°0'1"N
Longitude: -0.988 / 0°59'16"W
OS Eastings: 469572
OS Northings: 234024
OS Grid: SP695340
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.H21
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.TZKF
Entry Name: Old Latin School
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377200
Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6934 MARKET HILL
879-1/5/100 (North side)
13/10/52 Old Latin School
Former chantry chapel, later school. Rebuilt 1475
incorporating Norman doorway, re-roofed late C18 and restored
by G Gilbert Scott in 1857 and 1875. Uncoursed limestone
rubble with limestone dressings and plain-tile roof. Aisleless
Norman doorway near middle of left side with 1 order of shafts
with leaf capitals, imposts with palmette-in-zigzag ornament,
inner arch with ornament of shallow pointed-arched arcading,
chevron ornament to outer arch and to hoodmould. Circular
sexfoiled window above, near eaves. Two 2-light window to left
of doorway one above the other with trefoil-headed lights and
straight hoods. 2-light Perpendicular window to right with
trefoil-headed lights and hoodmould.
Right side is concealed by adjacent building and has 2
sexfoiled circular windows at high level. 4-light windows to
gable end facing Market Hill divided in 2 by sub-arches
separated by small encircled quatrefoil to head and with
foiled Y-tracery and trefoils above pointed trefoil-headed
lights with pierced spandrels. Hollow-chamfered surround and
hoodmould. Stone-coped gable with kneelers and C19 gabled
bell-cote to apex.
INTERIOR: principal window to gable end has deep splay and
hollow-chamfered head dying into wall. End truss of 4-bay roof
has many-moulded tie beam with camber to centre to clear head
of window and arch-braced collar, otherwise C18 kingpost
trusses, except for truss at other end which has queen struts
and collar. Piscina with moulded surround and cusped
basket-arched head. Panelled dado.
Gallery to inner end with serpentine splat balusters to rail,
with 6 former pew ends from old parish church either end and
at regular intervals. Pew ends have poppy heads. One is
inscribed 'THOMAS/ GROVE/ GENT.' Another is dated 1626 and
another inscribed 'ANNO/ 1652' with AG in heart to back. Arms
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly chantry chapel of St John the
Baptist. Endowed early C13 as a chantry by Archdeacon Matthew
de Stratton. Belonged to the Hospital of St John Acon in
London and perhaps served the Hospital of St John the Baptist
in Buckingham. Dissolved with other chantries in the reign of
Edward VI and known from c1540 as the Royal Latin School. Now
owned by the National Trust.
(Buckler JC: Endowed Grammar Schools: 1827-: ILL.).
Listing NGR: SP6957234024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings