This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2643 / 50°15'51"N
Longitude: -5.0592 / 5°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 182071
OS Northings: 44956
OS Grid: SW820449
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.XD82
Mapcode Global: FRA 089B.DVL
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 8 January 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377589
Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1
Civil Parish: Truro
Built-Up Area: Truro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Truro St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW8244NW ST GEORGE'S ROAD
880-1/6/279 (South side)
08/01/71 Church of St George
Anglican church, for Peel Parish of St George. Consecrated
1855 by Bishop Philpots, designed by the Reverend William
Haslam. Local rubble with granite dressings, dry Delabole
slate roofs with coped gables to transepts and polygonal roof
to chancel; crested ridge tiles.
Cruciform plan with apsidal-ended chancel, north porch and
square west tower. Early English style. Unaltered elevations
with lancets and pairs of lancets, except 3 stepped lancets to
north and south walls of transept; pointed-arched doorway to
porch, shouldered-headed doorway to stair turret,
pointed-arched doorway to south wall of tower; angle
3-stage west tower has angle buttresses to lower stages,
octagonal stair turret to north-east corner, string courses
and crocketed corner pinnacles over a plain parapet; paired
lancets with louvres to bell-storey.
INTERIOR: lofty and well-lit and has a fine quality
scissor-braced and wind-braced roof structure with the
principal trusses springing from posts on stone corbels. High
moulded chancel arch springs from shafted abutments with
Fittings: probably original painted freestone pulpit;
pitch-pine benches. Memorial windows with coloured glass
include: one at east end of south wall to Julia A H Retallack,
d.1873 aged 56, to P E Trench 1855; to north wall west of
choir to T J Lobb 1897.
This church replaces an 1849 wooden church (City Road)
designed by a "Mr White", possibly William White the noted
ecclesiological architect who was a friend and an
architectural influence on the Reverend William Haslam.
(Barratt Rex: A Short History of the Parish and Church of St
George-the-Martyr; The Truro Buildings Research Group: River
Street and its Neighbourhood: Truro: 1980-).
Listing NGR: SW8207144956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings