This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4042 / 53°24'15"N
Longitude: -3.0792 / 3°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 328347
OS Northings: 390252
OS Grid: SJ283902
Mapcode National: GBR 6YY2.4D
Mapcode Global: WH761.NPXM
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389234
Location: Wirral, CH43
Electoral Ward/Division: Bidston and St James
Built-Up Area: Birkenhead
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Bidston St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/07/2014
Bidston Village Road (East side)
Church of St Oswald
(Formerly listed under HOYLAKE ROAD)
Parish Church. Largely 1856 by W. and J.Hay but incorporating late medieval tower and with chancel and possibly north aisle added or remodelled in 1882 by W.E.Grayson. Coursed and squared rubble in large blocks, but randomly coursed in north aisle and chancel. Westmorland slate roof with ridge cresting. Nave with west tower, two aisles and chancel. Early C16 three-stage west tower with angle buttresses. Perpendicular stilted moulded arch to west door with drop ended hood-mould over. Frieze of quatrefoil panels and coats of arms over doorway. 3-light window above with ogival hoodmould continuingas string course. 3-light bell-chamber window in third stage. Embattled parapet with corbel table. North aisle has 2-light Decorated window in west wall, and 2 in north wall. Gabled vestry wing dated 1903 projects, possibly incorporating earlier fabric in its west wall. Paired lancet lights in north wall of short chancel, and 3-light Decorated window with hood mould carried on corbel heads to the east. Small foiled lancet in south wall, and parapet with frieze dated 1882. Gabled porch in south aisle, with chamfered archway. Dated 1593 with date of rebuilding, 1856. Stilted arches to 2-light Decorated windows and small side door with hoodmould over. Interior space has been divided by a new screen leaving exposed a nave of 3 bays. Cylindrical shafts to steeply arched arcade. Nave roof with shallow curved principal trusses with collar. Chancel arch carried on corbels. Sedilia in chancel dated 1882: foiled arches on foiliate corbels. Reredos by Salviati, mosaic Last Supper with wood canopy frieze over. Painted roof with angel corbels over choir, the rest boarded. North aisle has 2-light Decorated window in west wall, and 2 in north wall.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth:1971).
Listing NGR: SJ2834790252
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings