History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sessions Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Birkenhead and Tranmere, Wirral

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.393 / 53°23'34"N

Longitude: -3.0134 / 3°0'48"W

OS Eastings: 332702

OS Northings: 388938

OS Grid: SJ327889

Mapcode National: GBR 7YD6.DF

Mapcode Global: WH876.PZ78

Entry Name: Sessions Court

Listing Date: 28 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389151

Location: Wirral, CH41

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Birkenhead and Tranmere

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Birkenhead Christ the King

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Birkenhead

Listing Text


BIRKENHEAD

SJ3288NE CHESTER STREET
789-1/14/45 (North West side)
28/03/74 Sessions Court

GV II

Sessions Court. Dated 1885-1887. By T.D.Barry and Son.
Ashlar-faced, roof not seen. Enriched classical style, with
entrance elevation to Chester Street comprising high basement,
and principal storey of 3 bays with advanced outer bays and
continuous colonnade. Central bay has entrance in rusticated
basement, paired doors with low relief panels dated 1887 in
architrave with foliate swags and rosettes and caryatids,
flanked by 2 windows each side. Corinthian order to paired
pilasters and columns of principal storey with heavy modillion
cornice and alternating panels and balustrading to parapet
over. Paired Corinthian shafts carrying segmental pediment
over mullioned and transomed window in advanced outer bays,
with low relief figures over. Tripartite window behind the
collonade over, and 3 oculi above. 2 lantern towers each side
of central bay with cast-iron screens to segmental arches and
pedimented cap are linked by high parapet with free-standing
sculpted figures. Return elevations have 3 square-headed
windows to ground floor, ornate pedimented heads to tripartite
windows of first floor. Lower rear ranges to Mortimer and
Brandon Streets of 7 recessed bays with central door in
concave moulded architrave, 2-pane sash windows to ground
floor, pedimented windows above. Balustraded cornice with urns
above, and axial chimney stacks. These ranges have terminal
pavillions which balance the return of the main elevation and
a low stone flanking wall runs between these two advanced
outer bays. Behind these side ranges is a high central block,
the court itself, which is lit by a series of round arched
windows divided by plain paired pilasters with rams heads.
There is an enriched parapet over the cornice on north
elevation only.


Listing NGR: SJ3270288938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.