History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Woodlands

A Grade II Listed Building in Birkenhead and Tranmere, Wirral

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3881 / 53°23'17"N

Longitude: -3.0234 / 3°1'24"W

OS Eastings: 332032

OS Northings: 388406

OS Grid: SJ320884

Mapcode National: GBR 7YB8.75

Mapcode Global: WH87D.J3HF

Entry Name: The Woodlands

Listing Date: 28 March 1974

Last Amended: 10 August 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389158

Location: Wirral, CH41

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Birkenhead and Tranmere

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Birkenhead Christ the King

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Birkenhead

Listing Text


BIRKENHEAD

SJ3288SW CLIFTON ROAD
789-1/15/47 (West side)
28/03/74 No.10

GV II

Includes: No.72 THE WOODLANDS.
Pair of houses. Dated 1846. By Walter Scott. Ashlar-faced with
Welsh slate and concrete tiled roof. Asymmetrical grouping in
picturesque gothic style. No.72 The Woodlands is 2-storeyed
with main range of 2 units with central door, and projecting
gabled block to the left. 4-centred arched doorway with
stepped hood mould over flanked by mullioned windows of 3- and
2-lights on each side, with hood moulds over ground floor
windows. Trefoiled window over door, and crow-stepped gable
corbelled out above. Smaller square block to left has 2-light
mullioned windows with stepped hood moulds on each floor and
stack on side of gable. No.10 Clifton Road is at right angles
to this, and comprises 2 parallel gables: small central gable
over porch with stilted arched door and hood mould, similar
window over, and fretted bargeboards to gable. Wide left-hand
gable has canted bay window to ground floor with round arched
mullioned lights. Single storey castellated block to right of
porch abuts rear of No.72. To left short length of wall has
ogee-arched doorway with stepped coping over, and the date,
1846. The houses form part of the original development of
Clifton Park, laid out by Scott as a villa estate.


Listing NGR: SJ3203288406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.