History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Bidston and St James, Wirral

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4011 / 53°24'3"N

Longitude: -3.0742 / 3°4'27"W

OS Eastings: 328673

OS Northings: 389901

OS Grid: SJ286899

Mapcode National: GBR 6YZ3.7J

Mapcode Global: WH761.RS80

Entry Name: Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottages

Listing Date: 8 December 1989

Last Amended: 10 August 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389085

Location: Wirral, CH43

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Bidston and St James

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Bidston St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Birkenhead

Listing Text


SJ28NE
789-1/3/161

BIRKENHEAD
BIDSTON
Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottages

(Formerly listed as Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottage)

08/12/89

GV
II
Lighthouse with associated keepers' and hill warden's cottages. Built 1873 by the Mersey Dock Estate to guide ships into the Mersey estuary. It forms part of an extensive system of navigational aids along the North Wales coast. Rusticated ashlar; sheet metal roof to lighthouse, Welsh slate to the cottages. Lighthouse tower of 3 stages supporting recessed light-chamber under conical cap. Single- and paired sash windows to each stage; doorway (to west) surmounted by the title 'Mersey Dock Estate 1873' in medallion. Lowest stage battered. Upper walkway corbelled on consoles, with railings. Light chamber with modillion eaves cornice. Metal roof roundel finial. Single-storey cottage range attached to east, hipped roofs, paired sash windows, and rusticated stone stacks emerging from roof slopes. The cottages accommodated the families of the lighthouse keeper and the observatory groundsmen.


Listing NGR: SJ2867389901

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.