History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Buildings Approximately 20 Metres North West of Knowles Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Up Holland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5568 / 53°33'24"N

Longitude: -2.7293 / 2°43'45"W

OS Eastings: 351784

OS Northings: 406928

OS Grid: SD517069

Mapcode National: GBR 9WC9.XQ

Mapcode Global: WH86L.1VMP

Entry Name: Farm Buildings Approximately 20 Metres North West of Knowles Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389056

Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Up Holland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Appley Bridge

Listing Text


UP HOLLAND

SD50NW ROBY MILL, Roby Mill
783-1/2/114 (West side)
25/06/73 Farm buildings approximately 20
metres north-west of Knowles
Farmhouse

GV II

Barn with integral shippon and attached cart shed and stable
range. Barn probably late C18 or early C19 (with 1688
datestone in east gable); cart shed and stable range probably
C19; both parts altered. The barn is of coursed sandstone
rubble, the other range of coursed squared sandstone, and both
have asbestos sheet roofs. L-plan formed by barn of 5
structural bays on east-west axis, with cartshed attached to
west end of south side.
The barn has opposed waggon doorways in the 3rd bay, that at
the rear segmental-headed with a keystone (but damaged) but
that at the front with a cast-iron lintel replacing the arch;
to right, a re-used 2-light mullioned window (now blocked), a
large square-headed doorway with monolith jambs and lintel
(also blocked), and at right-hand end a square-headed doorway
with wooden doorcase. Its east gable wall (which has been
rebuilt) has inserted garage doorway at ground floor, and a
datestone with raised lettering "1688" above; the rear has a
buttress to the shippon, and rebuilt masonry to the east of
this.
The cart shed has 2 square-headed cart entries with
punch-dressed lintels, and a similar but lower doorway to left
of these with a square loading door above; and the stable
continued to the left has 3 square-headed doorways, the 3rd of
these under a flight of external steps to loft doorways of
both parts, and a loft window in the centre. Forms group with
Knowles Farmhouse approximately 20m south-east (qv).


Listing NGR: SD5178406928

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.