This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5337 / 53°32'1"N
Longitude: -2.1299 / 2°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 391484
OS Northings: 404121
OS Grid: SD914041
Mapcode National: GBR FWKL.N0
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.7FZV
Entry Name: Conservatory in Park
Listing Date: 23 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388954
Location: Oldham, OL8
Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Werneth St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90SW WERNETH PARK
780-1/3/90 (North East side)
23/01/73 Conservatory in Park
Conservatory in Werneth Park. c1860 with later modifications.
Brick with stone dressings, timber and glass. Welsh slate roof
to entrance block, the rest glass.
Entrance block and conservatory range behind. Entrance block
has central octagon rising from square single storeyed base.
Tuscan portico in SW elevation.
Round-arched entrance doorway beneath the portico, with 4-pane
sash in moulded stone architraves each side. Modillion cornice
each side of central pediment, with openwork parapet with urns
at angles. Wide bow window in SE elevation, with massive
scrolled brackets to parapet, and flanking 4-pane sash
Doorway in moulded stone architrave beyond. Octagonal upper
storey has triple windows with plain string course and stone
rosettes as frieze in each face. Heavy modillion cornice to
overhanging eaves. Wood lantern surmounts roof.
INTERIOR includes octagonal hall with pyramidal roof and Art
Nouveau glass. Glass houses project from NW elevation: triple
gabled range with internal cast-iron columns, and symmetrical
facade facing park, with central canted entrance porch, and
outer bow windows. Stone plinth, the rest glazed with margin
The octagonal entrance block was probably built as the music
room for a house now demolished, but built by the Platt family
c1850. The house was demolished in 1895 and the portico was
retained as the entrance to the music room which was then
intended for public access by Sarah Lees.
Listing NGR: SD9148404121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings