This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5329 / 53°31'58"N
Longitude: -2.1293 / 2°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 391525
OS Northings: 404034
OS Grid: SD915040
Mapcode National: GBR FWKL.T8
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.8G9G
Entry Name: Werneth Park Adult Education Centre
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388956
Location: Oldham, OL8
Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Werneth St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD9104SE WERNETH PARK
780-1/7/92 (North East side)
Werneth Park Adult Education Centre
House, now in use as study centre. c1847-9, and in use as
study centre since 1938. Brick with stone dressings and Welsh
slate roof. Italianate style.
2 storeys, square in plan though asymmetrically expressed.
Entrance front faces west. Central entrance in angle with
advanced gabled wing to left. Projecting entrance porch with
shell-hood to architrave over paired doors, and panelled
Canted bay window in pedimented gabled wing to left, with
panelled parapet. Blind window to right of doorway. Double
string course, and three 4-pane sash windows above. Modillion
cornice to overhanging eaves. Paired pedimented gables to
garden front, advanced each side of central entrance, and each
with squared bay window with fretted parapet. Three 4-pane
sash windows above. End wall and axial stacks.
INTERIOR: much of the original interior survives, including
the staircase, and decorative plaster cornices, and in one
room the walls and ceiling are painted in a Roccoco Italian
The house was built by the Lees family as a private residence,
but in 1835 it was given to Oldham for use as a museum and
study centre by Marjory Lees. The house was extended by JH
Heywood with the addition of a rear wing to house the natural
(Tithe Map, circa 1848; Lancashire Life: E.L. Briggs: Sarah's
Reaching Hands: 1984-: 41; Anon.: Werneth Park Study Centre:
Listing NGR: SD9152504034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings