History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barker's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in West Lancashire, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5615 / 53°33'41"N

Longitude: -2.7615 / 2°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 349654

OS Northings: 407483

OS Grid: SD496074

Mapcode National: GBR 9W48.Y0

Mapcode Global: WH86K.KR60

Entry Name: Barker's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388970

Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Town: West Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashurst

Built-Up Area: Skelmersdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Dalton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Appley Bridge

Listing Text


SKELMERSDALE

SD40NE ELMERS GREEN LANE
783-1/1/7 (East side)
25/06/73 Barker's Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1742 on gable of porch; enlarged
in C19, altered and renovated. Coursed sandstone rubble,
graduated stone slate roof. Cruciform plan formed by a 2-unit
main range with a broad porch-wing at the front and a service
wing at the back, plus an outshut to this. Two storeys, 1:1:1
windows, symmetrical. The large 2-storey porch, with a ball
finial, has a doorway with a rectangular lintel and a C20
glazed door, a tall 2-light casement window, and above this
square datestone with a circular panel lettered: H/E E/1742.
The flanking bays have large square 2-light casement windows
with rectangular lintels and C20 joinery. The roof has a
cruciform chimney stack on the centre of the ridge and ball
finials on both gables. The west side of the rear wing has an
outshut under a catslide roof. INTERIOR: unusual 2-unit plan
(for the date) with a central chimney stack (which formerly
had relatively small back-to-back fireplaces); stone-vaulted
former dairy in outshut of rear wing; C19 staircase ascending
along rear wall of 2nd unit; crudely-shaped chamfered purlins
in main range, with run-out stops, and machine-sawn purlins in
rear wing.


Listing NGR: SD4965407483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.