History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Websters Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in West Lancashire, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5631 / 53°33'47"N

Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W

OS Eastings: 347001

OS Northings: 407682

OS Grid: SD470076

Mapcode National: GBR 8WW7.7G

Mapcode Global: WH86J.YP2V

Entry Name: Websters Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388987

Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Town: West Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Skelmersdale North

Built-Up Area: Skelmersdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Skelmersdale St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Skelmersdale

Listing Text


SKELMERSDALE

SD40NE SPA LANE
783-1/1/26 (North side)
25/06/73 Websters Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1682 in gable of porch; enlarged
c1900 and altered. Handmade red brick in English garden wall
bond (3+1) on sandstone base, composition tile roof. Two-unit
end-baffle-entry plan with projecting porch, rear wing and
addition to left. Two low storeys; the principal element, 1:2
windows including a 2-storey gabled porch to the left, has an
elaborate and unusual 3-course band carried round, with a
corbel table of raised headers and a projecting top course in
which alternate bricks are set on edge to give an embattled
effect, and between the ground floor windows a pendent oblong
panel in similar manner. The porch has a square-headed doorway
with stone lintel and C20 board door, a small square window at
1st floor, and above this a square datestone with raised
lettering: T/ TH/ 1682, and one very small window on each
floor of the right-hand side. The main range has oblong
windows on both floors, those at ground floor under blocked
depressed arches with arch-bands of separated raised headers,
and all with C20 joinery (replacing 3-light sliding sashes).
Chimney at left gable; and modern one-window extension to
left. HISTORY: the decorative use of brick on this building is
very similar to that at Nos 1 & 3 Cobbs Brow in Newburgh, West
Lancs District.


Listing NGR: SD4700107682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.