This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.546 / 53°32'45"N
Longitude: -2.1074 / 2°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 392979
OS Northings: 405494
OS Grid: SD929054
Mapcode National: GBR FWQF.KK
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.L4PC
Entry Name: Henshaw's Bluecoat School
Listing Date: 23 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388891
Location: Oldham, OL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Oldham St Stephen and All Martyrs (Lower Moor)
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD9205SE EGERTON STREET
780-1/5/28 Henshaw's Bluecoat School
School. 1829-1834. By Richard Lane. Ashlar faced with Welsh
2 storeys, symmetrically planned about a central entrance
hall. Neo-Tudor style.
Central and outer gabled wings each a 3-window range, linked
by longer 5-window ranges. Advanced central wing with central
moulded arched doorway and 3-light mullioned and transomed
windows above on first and attic storeys, with steep gable
above and polygonal pilasters terminating in truncated
Outer 2-light mullioned windows on each floor, and polygonal
angle pilasters with embattled pinnacles. Outer gables are
similarly styled, with polygonal angle pilasters with
truncated pinnacles, and steep coped gables.
Windows throughout are mullioned and with margin lights in
deep splayed embrasures. Embattled parapet over 5-window
linking ranges. Advanced single storeyed parallel wing to
right added in 1908, employing similar style.
INTERIOR retains much of the orignal planning, in spite of the
loss of the original hall (housed to the rear of the right
hand gabled wing). Central entrance and stair hall, with
cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, linked to
central spinal corridor by three moulded archways on each
Some original detailing also survives, particularly the
moulded plasterwork of the corridor, and the cornice and
gothick fireplace in the former governor's dining room.
The school was founded as the result of a bequest from Thomas
Henshaw, a hatter of Oldham, supplemented by a public appeal.
Listing NGR: SD9297905494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings