History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Independent Methodist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coldhurst, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5403 / 53°32'25"N

Longitude: -2.1163 / 2°6'58"W

OS Eastings: 392391

OS Northings: 404862

OS Grid: SD923048

Mapcode National: GBR FWNH.MM

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.G8GR

Entry Name: Independent Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 2 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388895

Location: Oldham, OL1

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Coldhurst

Built-Up Area: Oldham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Oldham St Mary with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD90SW GEORGE STREET
780-1/3/32 (West side)
02/08/83 Independent Methodist Chapel

II*

Methodist chapel. 1815. Brick, with Welsh slate roof. 4-window
range, unequally divided, and built on a sloping site with
basement to rear, and entrance up steps to right. Tall windows
with stone sills and flat-arched brick heads, with stained
glass margin lights. Paired panelled doors in stone pedimented
architrave with cast-iron railings and gates. Blind basement
windows. Stack on left-hand gable end. Paired high windows
each side of stack in gable wall. Lower side similarly
detailed but with full basement with 3 doors with stone sills
and jambs, and windows partially blocked. INTERIOR: Galleries
to three sides, the frontals with sunken panels, all supported
on cast-iron columns (each with knop and moulded capital).
Complete set of panelled box pews. Tiered seats around rostrum
below organ. Queen post roof. Basement rooms have certain
features including fireplaces with simple stone surrounds and
grates. Said to be the oldest place of worship in Oldham for
Methodists.


Listing NGR: SD9239204858

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.