This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.547 / 53°32'49"N
Longitude: -2.0892 / 2°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 394184
OS Northings: 405603
OS Grid: SD941056
Mapcode National: GBR FWVF.H6
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.W39L
Entry Name: Oldham Equitable Co Operative Society Buildings
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388905
Location: Oldham, OL4
Electoral Ward/Division: Waterhead
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Oldham St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90NW HUDDERSFIELD ROAD
780-1/1/42 (South East side)
Oldham Equitable Co-Operative
Co-operative Society buildings. 1900. By Thomas Taylor of
Oldham. Ashlar faced to brick with Welsh slate roof.
3 principal storeys, divided unequally into 3 main sections
with massive gable flanked by blocks of 2 and 5 bays.
Left-hand range is gabled at right-angles to street, and has
modified ground floor, and 2 wide segmentally-arched windows
to first floor divided by polygonal pilasters which continue
across second storey and the parapet. Arcaded upper storey of
5 bays, with marked entasis to piers.
Similar pattern repeated in 5 bays to left of gable which are
roofed parallel to street. Central block comprises a high
gable at right-angles to street, with modified ground floor, 5
windows with bracketed sills and entablatures to first floor,
and massive semi-circular window with round-headed mullioned
lights above. Scalloped decoration above and below.
Coped gable with terminal pinnacles each side. "Oldham
Equitable Co-Operative Society" in decorative low relief above
first floor windows. Ground floor throughout has late C20
fascias but the original polished granite columns survive,
though mostly encased.
The building was originally of greater extent with a courtyard
to the rear, and the existing rear walls are faced with white
The building was designed to include drapery, gentlemen's
outfitting, furnishing, boot and shoe, butchering and grocery
departments, together with offices, committee and board rooms,
and included an educational department with newsroom, library
and conversation room. 2 large public halls were also
(Walters C: The Combined History of the Equitable and
Industrial Societies: Manchester: 1900-: P.145-149).
Listing NGR: SD9418405603
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings