This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5645 / 53°33'52"N
Longitude: -2.0759 / 2°4'33"W
OS Eastings: 395067
OS Northings: 407542
OS Grid: SD950075
Mapcode National: GBR FWY6.CY
Mapcode Global: WHB95.2NQR
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388923
Location: Oldham, OL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St James'
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Moorside St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90NE NORTHGATE LANE
780-1/2/59 (West side)
Church of St Thomas
Parish church. 1872, western vestry added 1933. By H Cockburn.
Coursed and squared rubble laid in small blocks. Welsh slate
roof with scalloped bands. West tower, nave with clerestory, 2
lean-to aisles, chancel.
West tower with angle buttresses, west door in double
chamfered arch, 3-light Decorated window over, and foiled
lancet above. Clock, then paired bell-chamber lights in
recessed upper stage with octagonal pilasters terminating in
traceried pinnacles to parapet above.
Turret with spirelet to north east. 3-light windows with
stilted arch in west of south aisle, canted vestry to north
aisle, added 1933. Gabled south porch, with paired shafts to
doorway. Paired plate traceried windows in stilted arches to
Gabled chapel to east of north aisle, vestry east of south
aisle. 3-light plate traceried windows in stilted arches to
clerestory. 2-tier 2-light chancel windows, eaves cornice with
rosettes to chancel, and angle buttresses. 5-light Decorated
East window, and cinquefoil lights in chancel clerestory to
INTERIOR: west tower arch with clustered shafts, and nave
arcade of 4 bays also with clustered shafts on high bases,
with octagonal capitals and double chamfered arches. String
course over, and wall shafts carrying cambered roof trusses,
with collar and two purlins.
Wide double chamfered chancel arch carried on shafts sprung
North aisle chapel with oak fittings, including memorial
screen. Encaustic tiled floor to chancel; reredos, stone with
marble inlay, flanked by tiled panels with some low relief.
Marble panels above, inscribed with 10 commandments etc. Organ
chamber to the south. Integral pulpit to north of chancel
arch, timber on stone base, with high relief figures of
saints. Octagonal font with recessed panels each with high
relief, beneath tower.
STAINED GLASS: north aisle with windows of 1902 and 1908 by
Mayer and Co of Munich, and of 1928 by Jones and Willis. East
window in medieval idiom, date unknown, but probably c1880.
South aisle windows by Capronnier, dated between 1881 and 1891
and forming a series.
Listing NGR: SD9506707542
Other nearby listed buildings