This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5347 / 53°32'4"N
Longitude: -2.1229 / 2°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 391950
OS Northings: 404233
OS Grid: SD919042
Mapcode National: GBR FWMK.6M
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.CFB2
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388938
Location: Oldham, OL8
Metropolitan District Ward: Werneth
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Werneth St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD9104SE ST THOMAS'S CIRCLE
780-1/7/71 Church of St Thomas
Parish church. 1853-55, with additions of 1868 and 1880-1882.
By A.Trimen. Stone, with slate roof. Early English style. West
porch added 1905 in Perpendicular style.
South door to porch in shallow segmental arch with traceried
overlight. Swept angle buttresses with pinnacles and shallow
canted bay in west wall, with Perpendicular tracery. 4-light
window in West gable above.
NW tower and spire. 4-stage tower with angle buttresses.
West door with shafts and interlace capitals. Billet moulded
hood mould. Traceried panelled door.
North window of tower cuts into second stage which is blind to
west. Lancet window in third stage then paired bellchamber
lights with steep gabled hood mould which cuts through chevron
frieze. Shafts support projecting angle stone. Brooch spire
3-light west window to south aisle, with reticulated tracery.
Aisles divided into bays by buttresses, each with triple
foiled lancet window. Curved triangular windows to low
Paired gables to side chapel and organ chamber with triple
foiled lancet windows. Chapel and organ chamber to south, each
with 4-light reticulated traceried window.
Chapel added 1868, and organ chamber added c1880. 2 wide
lancet windows to south of chancel, and 4-light east window
with cross finial on gable over. North aisle similar, the
north chapel also added c1868.
INTERIOR: nave, with arcade of 5 bays to south, 4 to north,
the tower occupying the north-west corner. Alternate
cylindrical and octagonal shafts carry double chamfered
arches. Stilted arched embrasures to clerestory windows over.
Arched braced roof trusses with collars and two tiers of wind
Chancel arch with angled responds and stepped arch. Short
shafts superimposed on responds carry inner chamfered arch.
Slight hood mould carried on small foliate corbels.
North and south chapels behind east bay of arcade, with open
clerestory lights, of 5-lights to south, and a single light to
Ornate roof to chancel, of 4 bays with dog tooth moulding to
arched braces of scissor braced roof, with cusped wind braces
and angels carved at head of wall posts.
Emblems of saints painted in panels formed by wind braces.
Elaborate open-traceried choir stalls with gilded coats of
arms. Altar rails in similar style.
Painted panel to reredos, depicting adoration of magi with
painted and carved frame, dated 1905. Traceried panels each
side containing texts. Ornate traceried pulpit and eagle
lectern, forming series with choir stalls and altar. Armorial
glass in chancel north and south windows.
East window by Capronnier, 1883. Second World war memorial
chapel to north, with oak panelling and altar.
STAINED GLASS in Renaissance style in north and south chapel
windows, possibly by the same artist, 1880-1895. Both are
memorials to Radcliffe family of Werneth Park. Stained glass
in main west window, c1874. Medieval style, but faded colours
and inscription now illegible. North aisle windows by AG Moore
of Liverpool, c1930 and 1958, and G.E.R. Smith of London.
Stained glass in south aisle by Gustave Hiller of Liverpool, a
series dated between 1907 and 1930, and by Heaton Butler and
Baptistery to west of south aisle formed in 1909. Square font
on squat cylindrical base, with statue of saint holding child.
Low relief angels and children on each side of basin. Memorial
tablet for First World War at base of tower, a painted wood
triptych by Henry A Payne of Amberley, Gloucestershire.
Listing NGR: SD9195004233
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings