This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5389 / 53°32'19"N
Longitude: -2.1313 / 2°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 391395
OS Northings: 404699
OS Grid: SD913046
Mapcode National: GBR FWKJ.C4
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.79CW
Entry Name: Hartford Works
Listing Date: 20 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388940
Location: Oldham, OL9
Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Chadderton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90SW SUTHERS STREET
780-1/3/76 (North side)
20/04/88 Hartford Works
Cotton mill, subsequently part of Platt Bros engineering
works, now commercial premises in partial occupation only.
c1850 with alterations of 1909. Built for Charles and Spenser
Suthers altered for Platt Bros by AE Wolstencroft.
Red brick on rusticated sandstone plinth, flat roof not seen.
6 storeys, 20-window range with 2 x 2 bay projection on east
side. Continuous sill band to ground floor windows which are
fixed-light casements with glazing bars in rusticated brick
segmental arches. Channelled brickwork to ground floor aligned
with arches. Stone string course below first floor windows
which have stepped segmentally-arched brick heads. Upper
floors have similar windows with stone sills. Some openings
towards SW altered, possibly in association with link to
building formerly adjoining to west.
Stair tower with water tank over in projection against east
wall. String course beneath frieze with 'Hartford Works'
picked out in white brick. Brick dentils to ashlar cornice.
Narrow doorway, probably inserted, in gable return.
Other entrances not seen, now concealed by early C20 additions
to east. These comprise two single-storeyed parallel ranges
with pedimented gables in elevation to Suthers Street, each
with inserted wide entrance, cutting original round-arched
windows. Light steel and glass roof structure.
INTERIOR not inspected but known to have been extensively
altered c1909 for Platt Bros. These alterations involved the
replacement of old timber beams with steel girders and
re-inforcing the lower floor stanchions. 2 lines of fluted
iron columns with square capitals on each floor, and wooden
roof with king post and tie.
The mill was bought by Platt Bros. c1900, and was used as part
of the Hartford New Works to serve as warehouse and show
(Gurr D: The Cotton Mills of Oldham: Oldham: 1985-).
Listing NGR: SD9139504699
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings