This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5393 / 54°32'21"N
Longitude: -1.9254 / 1°55'31"W
OS Eastings: 404923
OS Northings: 516004
OS Grid: NZ049160
Mapcode National: GBR GHZY.YK
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.D5CF
Entry Name: Mill Court
Listing Date: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388852
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/5/223 (East side)
Formerly known as: Thorngate Factory THORNGATE.
Woollen mill, then chamois leather factory, this part now
flats. Mid C19; 1935-82 used by North of England Chamois
Leather Co.; 1982-85 conversion of most of factory for
Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust. Coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings; roofs of stone and Welsh slates with
stone gable copings.
PLAN: north elevation to courtyard 3+2 storeys; 3+2-opening
range. Rear elevation to river 3+3 lower storeys; 5+3 window
EXTERIOR: north elevation to courtyard: former vehicle shed
has voussoirs to 2 round-arched openings below and flat stone
lintels and projecting stone sills to 2 small fixed lights
above, and one set-back bay with 4-panel door below and fixed
light above; roof hipped at left. At right taller build
continues with side steps to 4-panel door, and metal mullions
and transoms to 6-light windows with flat stone lintels and
projecting stone sills. Roof has gable copings, and butting
onto front slope is the roof of a bridge at right with window
strip above weatherboarding. Front to river has one extra
storey below to water's edge, with metal mullions and transoms
to fixed lights, and tiers of end plates for cast-iron
reinforcing rods at right of tallest build.
HISTORY: this was the last of many industrial buildings
erected on the river in Barnard Castle; it was not
water-powered. From 1935-83, it was a factory for the North of
England Chamois Leather Co, used for making protective
clothing for the steel industry and the Admiralty. Only this
mill, Thorngate Mill (qv) and the mill at No.22 Bridgegate
(qv) now survive.
(Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust: Rackham RA: Barnard
Castle and Teesdale, A Victorian Perspective: Barnard Castle:
1988-: PLATES 11 AND 28).
Listing NGR: NZ0492316004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings