History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Observatory

A Grade II Listed Building in Alexandra, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5323 / 53°31'56"N

Longitude: -2.1054 / 2°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 393111

OS Northings: 403961

OS Grid: SD931039

Mapcode National: GBR FWQL.ZH

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.MGNY

Entry Name: Observatory

Listing Date: 23 January 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201700

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388865

Location: Oldham, OL8

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Glodwick St Mark with Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD90SW ALEXANDRA PARK
780-1/3/4

Observatory

23/01/73

II

Observatory in form of pagoda. 1899. Stone, with polished
granite plinth and slate and leaded roof. Square in plan with
double pagoda roof. Single room plan, raised up steps. Central
entrance and flanking windows, all with wrought-iron screens.
Segmental arch to door, curved angle moulding to windows.
Three low openings above string course above. Similar rhythm
repeated in other elevations, but with wide central blind
window space. Angle piers with foliate capitals in upper
section carry heavily coved overhanging roof. First tier of
roof has scrolled wrought-iron finials at angles, and
segmental blind dormers with scrolled wood decorative
panelling. Enriched timber screen above carries upper tier of
roof which is leaded and ogivally-arched with wood finials at
angles. Small onion dome above surmounted by weather vane.
Inscriptions in polished granite in return walls of base
record that the observatory was erected in commemoration of
the jubilee of the incorporation of the Borough, 1849-1899,
and list the names of members of the Sanitary Committee of the
Borough.


Listing NGR: SD9311103961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.