History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Medlock Vale, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5134 / 53°30'48"N

Longitude: -2.1082 / 2°6'29"W

OS Eastings: 392919

OS Northings: 401859

OS Grid: SD929018

Mapcode National: GBR FWQT.C8

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.LY9G

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 23 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388874

Location: Oldham, OL8

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Medlock Vale

Built-Up Area: Oldham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bardsley Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Ashton under Lyne

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD90SW ASHTON ROAD, Bardsley
780-1/3/12 (West side)
23/07/92 Church of the Holy Trinity

II

Parish church. 1844. By Starkey and Cuffley. Coursed and
squared rusticated rubble with Welsh slate roofs. West tower,
nave with 2 aisles and transepts, chancel with vestries each
side. Heavy Romanesque style. 3-stage west tower with
round-arched doorway with triple stepped shafts and interlaced
lancet tracery and windows above, then clock. 2-light
round-arched roll-moulded bell-chamber lights. Heavy
strap-work to parapet. Clasping buttresses form pinnacles.
Round-arched western aisle windows, with chevron moulding
following line of parapet above. Each aisle divided into 4
bays, each with a shallow segmental arch sprung between
pilasters, containing a single round-arched windows with
shafts and chevron moulding to continuous hood mould. Similar
wider segmental arch housing west windows of transepts. Triple
light north and south windows to transepts with plain
roll-moulding, and rose-window in gable apexes. Gabled
vestries each side of chancel, that to south possibly a later
addition. Stepped round-arched east windows to chancel with
plain moulding. Billet moulding following line of parapet
over.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).


Listing NGR: SD9291901859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.