History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Spotted Cow Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1361 / 54°8'10"N

Longitude: -0.8003 / 0°48'1"W

OS Eastings: 478479

OS Northings: 471807

OS Grid: SE784718

Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.J2

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.P93J

Entry Name: The Spotted Cow Public House

Listing Date: 10 June 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389408

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 CATTLE MARKET
801-1/8/30 (North West side)
10/06/74 The Spotted Cow PH

GV II

Public house. C18, or possibly earlier, with C19 alteration
and extension. Colour-washed render at front and to left side;
right side of colour-washed rubble stone; brick extension to
rear; flat timber eaves cornice. Roman pantile roof and brick
central and left end stacks, one rebuilt. Lobby-entry plan
with added rear wing. 2-storey 2-window front. Left of centre
door of 4 panels in panelled pilaster and cornice doorcase;
tall, narrow window to right, possibly enlarged fire-window.
Remaining windows are 4-pane sashes with painted stone sills
and painted wedge lintels, those on ground floor of opaque
glass displaying the words TAP ROOM to left, and SMOKE ROOM to
right. Carved timber sign under semicircular head between
first floor windows, showing a spotted cow in low relief. The
door, doorcase and window frames are painted in C19 imitation
wood grain varnish. C19 interior and fittings said to survive
intact. The house was a beerhouse in 1807, and licensed in
c1860.


Listing NGR: SE7847971807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.