This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6003 / 52°36'1"N
Longitude: -2.1619 / 2°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 389132
OS Northings: 300292
OS Grid: SJ891002
Mapcode National: GBR 14D.X7
Mapcode Global: WHBFR.RWQX
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378357
Location: Wolverhampton, WV6
County: City of Wolverhampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Tettenhall Regis
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Tettenhall Regis
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ8900 CHURCH ROAD
29-JUL-50 (North side)
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Church. C15 west tower; south porch, 1882-3, by G.E. Street; nave, chancel and vestry rebuilt after fire of 1950 in 1952-5, to the designs of Bernard Miller. Ashlar with tile roofs. 2-bay Lady Chapel with north vestry; three-bay nave has lean-to aisles with cross gables, south porch and west tower. Decorated Gothic style, Miller's work parts a free interpretation of the Gothic style. Projecting Lady Chapel has coped parapet and gable with cross; round windows and 4-light east window; small projection with entrance to south. 6-window vestry range to north has 2-light straight-headed windows and north entrance with overlight and keystone. Aisles have 3 gabled windows of 3 lights with flanking blind lights between gabled buttresses; south porch has coped gable with cross and arch dying into jambs between diagonal buttresses, rib vault and inner entrance of 2 orders; clerestory has seven 2-light segmental-headed windows. South-east bell turret and stack. 2-stage tower has moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses; 3-light west window with renewed tracery, hood with beast stops; similar stops to top stage sill courses; 2-light louvred bell openings; top cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet; north and south quatrefoils below bell openings with cornices.
INTERIOR: nave arcades on squat piers with foliate capitals; deep-arch-braced oak roofs, those to aisles with inverted hip form. The altar was always placed centrally in the crossing, so that the Lady Chapel takes the place of the traditional Chancel, screened by a low wall to arch with pulpit to one side. This was replaced by an openwork oak screen in 1985. Hanging bell-form lights. Most furnishings also designed by Miller, whose emblem of a bee can be seen in the altar rails. Round font with mosaic decoration by G. Mayer Marten hints at Miller's love of more theatrical motifs. East window by G Cooper-Abbs of Exeter.
Bernard Miller, long associated with the Liverpool School of Architecture, built many churches in the 1930s with surprisingly art deco flourishes. Tettenhall is very different. The design is strongly arts-and-crafts inspired, its broad, light form and reticulated Gothic reminiscent of E S Prior's St Andrew's, Roker (grade I) of 1906. This lavish 1950s' recreation may be compared with the slightly later work of George Pace, mainly working in Yorkshire and around Manchester, who also reinterpreted this style in a modern manner.
Listing NGR: SJ8913200292
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings