History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wolverhampton Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Park, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5857 / 52°35'8"N

Longitude: -2.1493 / 2°8'57"W

OS Eastings: 389982

OS Northings: 298669

OS Grid: SO899986

Mapcode National: GBR 17K.NG

Mapcode Global: WHBFY.Y8PJ

Entry Name: Wolverhampton Grammar School

Listing Date: 3 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378393

Location: Wolverhampton, WV3

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Wolverhampton St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE COMPTON ROAD
895-1/4/76 (South side)
03/02/77 Wolverhampton Grammar School

II

School. 1875 with additions of 1890. By Giles and Gough. Brick
with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Victorian Tudor Revival
style. Single-storey 8-window hall range; 4-storey entrance
tower with small 2-storey connecting bay to left and 4-window
range to right, formerly accommodation wing; former
headmaster's residence to right of 2 storeys; 3-window range
with 2-window return. Hall has weathered buttresses, end angle
buttresses with pinnacles; brick parapet and stone-coped
gables; architraved double-chamfered-mullioned windows with
Tudor heads to lights and 2 transoms; ventilation lantern to
ridge; return 5-light window with 4-centred head. Tower has
higher octagonal turret to left; Tudor-arched entrance with
label mould raised over shields and sidelight; sill courses to
1st and 2nd floors; frieze of shields above 2nd floor; top
embattled parapets; mullioned and transomed windows with
leaded glazing; top blocked roundel; right return has C18
cartouche; mullioned and transomed windows to block to left
and range to right, gableted to 1st floor; large canted bay
window to right end and gable-end stack. Headmaster's
residence has gabled projection to right; central entrance in
gabled porch with pointed arch; casemented windows; 1st floor
gablets; cross-axial stack; return similar. Rear similar, with
gabled single-storey and canted organ loft to hall; some later
wings. INTERIOR: hall has hammer-beam roof; some fielded
panelling; C20 balcony and panelling below; 2 hooded
fireplaces with armorial bearings; C20 stained glass and some
panels from St Andrew's, Undershaft, London; memorial plaques
from old school building. School was founded by Stephen Jenys
of the Merchant Taylors' Guild, 1515, and was later moved from
C18 building (dem) in town centre.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.325).


Listing NGR: SO8998298669

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.