History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Street Depot

A Grade II Listed Building in Heath Town, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5864 / 52°35'11"N

Longitude: -2.1168 / 2°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 392184

OS Northings: 298743

OS Grid: SO921987

Mapcode National: GBR 1GK.S6

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.G870

Entry Name: Mill Street Depot

Listing Date: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378395

Location: Wolverhampton, WV1

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Heath Town

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW CORN HILL
895-1/5/214 (East side)
Mill Street Depot

GV II

Railway goods depot, now offices and workshops. 1849-52 with
later alterations. For Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway and
London and North Western Railway. Brick with ashlar dressings;
felt roofs. 2-storey range has single-storey range under
double-span roof to east; basement under both. Bays
articulated by pilaster strips. 2-storey range has top
cornice, parapet, and coped gables; north elevation of 9 bays;
paired segmental-headed windows, now blocked, have cogged
impost bands; 2 round-headed entrances, also blocked; 1st
floor panels; 2 loading doors, now blocked; east end and south
elevation similar; south elevation has small late C19 and C20
additions; entrances have paired timber doors; some inserted
windows. Single-storey range has 9-bay north elevation; blind
round-headed arches have imposts and keystones;
elliptical-headed entrance to 4th bay now blocked; west end
has central entrance, now blocked with inserted door; flanking
blind arches and end entrances, that to left with sliding
door, that to right blocked with inserted window; south
elevation similar to north, but much altered; some bays have
inserted girders with C20 infill beneath; some inserted
windows. INTERIOR well-preserved: basement, originally bonded
store, has segmental arches to cross walls and raking
buttresses to side walls; 2-storey range has flanged round
iron columns; crane and 2 hydraulic ramps; 1st floor has
original partitioned office; iron roof trusses have diagonal
struts and tie bars; single-storey range has crane by lower
channel to north; round iron columns; timber roof trusses of
collar and tie beams with upper king posts; transverse beams
linking tie beams. A good and well-preserved example of an
early railway goods depot.
(Collins P: Notes on buildings of interest in Wolverhampton:
1990-).


Listing NGR: SO9218498743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.