History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Hall Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Blakenhall, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5608 / 52°33'38"N

Longitude: -2.1298 / 2°7'47"W

OS Eastings: 391298

OS Northings: 295892

OS Grid: SO912958

Mapcode National: GBR 1CV.YD

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.8W2P

Entry Name: Park Hall Hotel

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378517

Location: Wolverhampton, WV4

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenhall

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Sedgley All Saints with St Andrew the Straits

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW PARK DRIVE
895-1/5/68 (South side)
11/08/50 Park Hall Hotel

II

House, later Roman Catholic school, now hotel. 1705; additions
of later C18; alterations including windows, c1836; C20
alterations and additions. Brick with ashlar dressings; slate
roofs with brick stacks. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys;
symmetrical 5-window range with flanking 2-storey 3-window
ranges; that to left has 3-window extension; that to right has
C20 eleven-window extension. Central range has platt bands
over ground and 1st floors; top cornice and hipped roof;
quoins. Centrepiece has entrance in bolection-moulded eared
architrave in aedicule with Doric pilasters, entablature with
cherub, vine trail and masks of C17 style and broken segmental
pediment; 4-panel door; 1st floor has window in eared
architrave, moulded sill and apron in aedicule with Ionic
pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and broken
pediment; 2nd floor has window in bolection-moulded eared
architrave with mask and keystone in aedicule with Corinthian
pilasters; other windows have rubbed brick flat arches with
fielded-panel keystones; all have 4-pane horned sashes with
moulded frames. Wings have similar details; entrance with
cornice to left wing; C20 extension to right wing has
projecting ground floor. Rear has large C20 single-storey
extension; narrow sashed windows above; returns of central
range have heads of 2nd floor windows.
INTERIOR much altered. One of a number of good early C18
houses in the borough; important as an early Catholic school,
founded by Bishop Richard Challoner, with connections with
many notable Catholics of the C18 and C19, including John
Kemble, actor, and Bishop John Milner (q.v. Church of SS Peter
& Paul and Giffard House, North St).
(Buscot W, V Rev Canon: The History of Cotton College: London:
1940-: P.3-209; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.232).


Listing NGR: SO9129895892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.