History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of Royal Wolverhampton School

A Grade II Listed Building in Blakenhall, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5718 / 52°34'18"N

Longitude: -2.1391 / 2°8'20"W

OS Eastings: 390669

OS Northings: 297122

OS Grid: SO906971

Mapcode National: GBR 19Q.WG

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.3MN6

Entry Name: Chapel of Royal Wolverhampton School

Listing Date: 3 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201852

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378520

Location: Wolverhampton, WV3

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenhall

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW PENN ROAD
895-1/5/34 (East side)
03/02/77 Chapel of Royal Wolverhampton School

GV II

Chapel. 1894-5. By F.T. Beck. Brick with blue brick diapering;
ashlar dressings; slate roof. Cruciform plan. Windows with
Perpendicular tracery; coped gables and embattled parapets.
Chancel has offset angle buttresses and 5-light east window;
organ loft to south has canted angle and lean-to roof; north
vestry with square-headed 4-light east and 3-light north
windows, west entrance; transepts have ashlar quoins and
4-light window to north, 3-light square-headed window below 2
windows of 2 lights to south; crossing lantern with traceried
openings and ogival cupola with cross; nave has 3-light
square-headed traceried windows with transoms between offset
buttresses; 4-light west window over entrance with 3-centred
head and paired doors; octagonal turret to south; south porch
has panelled parapet over west entrance.
INTERIOR: collar trusses on ogival braces to roof; reredos has
relief of Last Supper; stalls have panelled fronts; windows
have stained glass by C.E.Kempe, with 2 windows by Kempe and
Tower, which form an important collection of Kempe's later
work.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.323).


Listing NGR: SO9066997122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.