History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King's House

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5814 / 52°34'53"N

Longitude: -2.1271 / 2°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 391484

OS Northings: 298185

OS Grid: SO914981

Mapcode National: GBR 1DM.J0

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.9CBV

Entry Name: King's House

Listing Date: 16 July 1949

Last Amended: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378561

Location: Wolverhampton, WV2

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198SW ST JOHN'S SQUARE
895-1/13/320 (East side)
16/07/49 King's House
(Formerly Listed as:
ST JOHN'S SQUARE
St Joseph's Convent of the Sisters
of Mercy)

GV II

Part of former convent, now office. Late C18 or early C19,
with mid C19 reconstruction to rear. Brick with stone
dressings; slate roof. 2 storeys; 7-window range. Top frieze
and cornice. Windows have rubbed brick flat arches over
12-pane sashes; blind windows to 2nd bay; ground floor has 2
horned sashes and 3 sashes with moulded frames; 1st floor has
stained-glass window to 1st bay, narrow window with stone
lintel to 6th bay, over round-headed entrance with archivolt,
keystone, and fanlight. Large C20 stack. Mid C19 rear
elevation has stone 1st floor sill band and top brick Lombard
frieze; pointed windows with stone reveals, those to ground
floor trefoil-headed with hood moulds. Entrance to 1st bay.
Part of former convent which included Calvary Chapel, Regents
Court and St John's Cloisters (q.v.) and Hanover House,
George St (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO9148498185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.