This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1353 / 54°8'7"N
Longitude: -0.799 / 0°47'56"W
OS Eastings: 478564
OS Northings: 471716
OS Grid: SE785717
Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.TC
Mapcode Global: WHFBG.PBP4
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389459
Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Malton
Built-Up Area: Malton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
SE780715 MARKET PLACE
801-1/8/80 Church of St Michael
Church. Nave c1150; C15 tower; chancel rebuilt in 1858; south
arcade rebuilt, and transepts constructed, in 1883; south side
rebuilt in 1966; north aisle re-roofed c1986. Dressed
sandstone, with transepts of rock-faced stone, and C20
rebuilding in ashlar; slate roof.
2-bay chancel, with vestry and organ chamber to north, and
south chapel; 4-bay aisled nave and clerestorey; west tower.
East window of 3 stepped lights over sillband, with glazed
roundel above. Chancel north side obscured by vestry; on south
side is a single window. East and south windows have
continuous hoods of chevron moulding.
North transept has 3 single light windows over sillband,
beneath cross-gabled roof. South transept has 2 separate
single-light windows with sillband beneath glazed quatrefoil
in a circular surround. Coped cross-gabled roof with foliate
gable cross. North aisle wall is of 4 recessed bays between
plain pilasters, each containing a single light. Clerestorey
has 4 windows beneath continuous hood of chevron moulding.
South aisle wall rebuilt to match north wall, and clerestorey
repeats that on north side. Aisles and clerestoreys have
corbel tables, and nave roof is crested with gable cross at
All windows to chancel, aisles and clerestoreys are
round-headed. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, on
chamfered plinth. C19 roll-moulded west doorway in 4-centred
arch of 3 orders, beneath flat hoodmould with mouchettes in
the spandrels. Inserted Perpendicular window over doorway.
Belfry has pointed cusped openings beneath flat hoods, paired
on north, south and west faces, single to east. Moulded
strings between first and second stages on north and south
faces interrupted on west by later window: moulded strings
between second and belfry stages, and below plain parapet, on
INTERIOR: C19 round chancel arch of 2 orders on one shaft and
one respond, both with scalloped capitals; hoodmould of
simplified beakhead on mask stops. Above the chancel arch is a
small blind round arch on shafts with scalloped capitals
beneath a continuous chevron-moulded hood. North and south
arcades of stepped round arches on cylindrical piers with
scalloped capitals, beneath continuous hood. Original piers in
north arcade stand on high cylindrical bases. Openings to
clerestorey windows are deeply splayed. Tall pointed tower
arch, of 2 chamfered orders, the inner dying into responds. A
fine C20 Doric screen closes off the south (Lady) chapel from
the chancel. C17 circular font carved with panels of
intertwined foliage on C19 foot.
Listing NGR: SE7856471716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings