History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Malton Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1356 / 54°8'8"N

Longitude: -0.7928 / 0°47'33"W

OS Eastings: 478974

OS Northings: 471756

OS Grid: SE789717

Mapcode National: GBR QNXM.58

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.S9PX

Entry Name: Malton Lodge

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Last Amended: 5 April 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389494

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 OLD MALTONGATE
801-1/8/113 (South side)
29/09/51 No.84
Malton Lodge
(Formerly Listed as:
OLD MALTONGATE
(South side)
Malton Lodge and screen wall to N)

GV II*

Gatehouse to Malton House, now house. Dated 1604; altered
c1675, extended on both sides c1834; further extension to left
dated 1878. Original house for Ralph, Lord Eure; 1878
extension for the Hon W H W Fitzwilliam.
Original building of coursed squared sandstone; extensions of
tooled sandstone, with ashlar dressings; stone stacks to
pantile roof.
Part of Jacobean Prodigy house, with extensions in Jacobethan
style.
Entrance front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, arranged 1:half:1:half:1,
with clasping pilasters at each end; 1-storey 3-window
extension to right and low 2-storey 2-window extension to
left; later C19 extensions further left.
3 centre bays of main front break forward to form full-height
Tuscan and Doric frontispiece, with renewed paired detached
columns on tall pedestals. Original central round arch with
carved keystone leading to inner courtyard blocked by screen
wall with lunette in chamfered surround; inserted double doors
of raised and fielded panelling beneath divided overlight.
Flanking half-bays have 2-light ovolo mullion windows with
hoodmoulds on ground floor, the left one with renewed
architrave, the right one blocked; above are 18-pane staircase
sashes. On first floor, windows are mullioned cross-windows
beneath vestigial hoods, paired in centre bay over defaced
square sundial. Windows in outer bays are blocked, except for
paired 12-pane ground floor sashes to left; vestigial
hoodmoulds survive over first floor windows.
Moulded first-floor string course, and moulded eaves cornice
beneath embattled parapet between ogee-capped turrets
terminating the clasping pilasters. Defaced rectangular panel
in moulded surround in centre of parapet. Lead rainwater goods
at each end of front, in pilaster angles, with scallop shell
clamps and rectangular hoppers stamped: Left: ANO Right:
1604/R E.
Rear: detailing largely obscured by creeper, but appears to
repeat entrance front though with windows altered to
small-pane sashes.
Right extension: clasping pilaster at right end, and 2
mullioned cross-windows, one 2-light mullion window, and
moulded eaves cornice beneath embattled parapet. Rear has
6-light mullion and transom bay window.
Left extension: low projecting entrance lobby added to front
of earlier extension, with panelled door to left of 3-light
mullion and transom window. Other details of earlier extension
similar to those of right extension.
Late C19 extensions: garden front. 2 storeys 4 bays, with
ogee-turreted pilasters, extending into 1-storey range of
outbuildings. Panelled door with divided overlight in
left-of-centre bay, and full-height canted bay window at left
end. All windows are mullioned, with single-pane sashes.
Moulded strings at first floor and eaves levels, with plain
embattled parapet. Range of outbuildings incorporates
pedimented door-case with flat arch of radiating voussoirs
between rusticated pilasters. Both returns are dated 1874.
INTERIOR: inspection refused. Two C17 staircases with
barley-sugar twist balusters are said to survive, one on each
side of the central hall.
A late C19 account of a visit by Dean Purey-Cust of York
exists, in which a description of other fittings is given:
"Above a curiously carved wooden chimneypiece are still the
arms of Lord Eure. Another sitting room is panelled with
Jacobean panelling. Pillars in pairs break into separate
panels the wainscoting round the room. Elaborately carved
pilasters support the mantlepiece, which consists of four bas
reliefs depicting the story of Jonah in carved oak."
In the early years of the C17, the Eure family, who were
recusant, figured prominently in Royalist affairs, and Malton
House was twice beseiged as a consequence. The mansion was
demolished in 1674, following the death of Lord Ralph's
grandson, William, when his heirs, his cousins Margaret and
Mary, were unable to agree over the partition of the estate. A
decision was taken by the High Sheriff of Yorkshire to
dismantle the house and divide the materials between the two
ladies. Mary Eure subsequently married William Palmes of
Lindley, and set up a linen manufactory in the surviving
buildings, in which she provided employment for the poor.
c1690, she entertained Celia Fiennes in her house, who
described it as a "pretty house".
In 1640, Sir Henry Slingsby wrote of Malton House in his
Diary. "We see an emulation in the structure of our houses if
we behold that at Tibbalds, and that of my Lord Suffolk's at
Audley End; so in this country my Lord Eure's at Malton, my
Lord Saville's at Howley, Sir Arthur Ingram's at Temple
Newsam."
Malton Lodge is an extraordinary relic of a great Prodigy
house, and is therefore of considerable national importance.
The Lodge was in partial occupation only, at the time of list
review (1990).
(Hudleston N A: History of Malton and Norton: Scarborough:
1962-: 119-122; Rushton J: The Ryedale Story: Ryedale District
Council: 1986-: 38, 40; Snowden K: Malton and Norton through
the Ages: Pickering: 1990-: 21; Settrington J: Malton in the
County of York: 1728-; Malton Lodge (Private report): 1800-;
The Dalesman: Barker T E: Lord Eure's House in Malton: 1980-).


Listing NGR: SE7897471756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.