This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4417 / 51°26'29"N
Longitude: -2.5598 / 2°33'35"W
OS Eastings: 361187
OS Northings: 171555
OS Grid: ST611715
Mapcode National: GBR CHQ.Y1
Mapcode Global: VH88V.L124
Entry Name: Brislington Transport Depot Entrance and Attached Gates, Wall and Shed
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378917
Location: Bristol, BS4
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington West
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Brislington St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington
901-1/56/441 (North East side)
04/03/77 Brislington Transport Depot Entrance
and attached gates, wall and shed
(Formerly Listed as:
Brislington Transport Depot,
entrance block only)
Formerly known as: National Carriers Depot BATH ROAD.
Tram depot entrance block. Dated 1899. By W Curtis Green. For
the Bristol Tram Company. Bath stone and Pennant rubble, slate
roof. Arched entrance block with wings on either side set back
at an angle. Georgian style.
2 storeys; 4-bay range. A symmetrical front with a tall,
semicircular keyed archway beneath an open modillion pediment
on banded pilasters either side; with banded reveals,
pilasters divide the elevation to the side into bays under a
modillion cornice and parapet; large semicircular-arched
ground-floor windows with alternate chamfered voussoirs and
jambs, set in rubble bays above a banded plinth, below paired,
rectangular first-floor windows with glazing bars, set in
ashlar under a string; the pediment bears a cartouche in the
tympanum with the monogram of the Bristol Tram Company; on top
is a tall square clock tower on a plinth with attached, fluted
corner columns, cornice and small dome on 8 columns with an
iron spike. INTERIOR: offices with few decorative details.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: detached single-storey line of garages
inside Sandy Park Road boundary wall to the east of the
Entrance Block, and rubble perimeter wall with moulded plinth
extends W along Sandy Park Road to the bottom end of the
bridge ramp. The entrance is modelled on an C18 stable block.
The Bristol Tram Company started business in 1876, and had 7
depots in Bristol of which this is the only one close to its
original form, with considerable architectural attention paid
to the sheds as well as the show-piece entrance block. Green
designed the Tramway Generating Station on Counterslip (qv).
(RCHME: Bristol An Architectural Survey of Urban Development
Corporation: London: 1991-: 5).
Listing NGR: ST6118771555
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings