This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4556 / 51°27'20"N
Longitude: -2.6184 / 2°37'6"W
OS Eastings: 357126
OS Northings: 173134
OS Grid: ST571731
Mapcode National: GBR C2K.T2
Mapcode Global: VH88M.KPL1
Entry Name: Knee Depository
Listing Date: 19 March 1986
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378972
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773SW BOYCE'S AVENUE, Clifton
901-1/8/694 (North side)
19/03/86 Nos.1-6A (Consecutive)
(Formerly Listed as:
KING'S ROAD, Clifton
Knee Brothers Depositories)
Includes: Nos.16-22 KING'S ROAD Clifton.
Also known as: Royal Bazaar and Winter Garden BOYCE'S AVENUE
Terrace of 6 shops and arcade, now depository warehouse. 1878.
Designed and built by JW King. Limestone ashlar with red and
black brick dressings and a slate hipped multi-roof.
Rectangular plan with shops and inner arcade occupying 13x6
bays. Each of 3 storeys; 1-window range. Decorated,
polychromatic shop and garage elevations to the S and W
elevations, separated by shop front pilasters to incised
capitals, with inverted cones to triangular finials, linked by
a frieze with incised vine decoration. Pilasters above have
moulded capitals to a brick parapet with stone brackets and a
coping; second-floor brick band with top and bottom black
Windows have moulded lintels with incised decoration, and
similar mouldings to brackets to small sill balconies with
cast-iron rails with small finials; tripartite first-floor and
paired second-floor windows. No.1A is set back the depth of
one shop front, the arcade is behind, with matching
fenestration in the returns, and a glazed roof to the shop in
front. The W elevation has 2 shops, a single-storey shop, and
garage doors to the left, to ground-floor elevations.
INTERIOR not inspected but reported as having a 2-storey
shopping arcade with a cast-iron gallery railings, a stone
imperial stair at the N end with a landing under a very large
rose window, the arcade lit by a continuous central skylight.
An uncommon late glazed shopping arcade, little changed from
the original scheme. King used similar motifs for the
Montpelier Hotel, St Andrews Road. Some of the ornament
derives from Owen Jones' 'Grammar of Ornament'. Acquired by
Knee Bros 1912, who pioneered 'container haulage' by road and
rail from 1844.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 377).
Listing NGR: ST5712673134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings