This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4745 / 51°28'28"N
Longitude: -2.6113 / 2°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 357638
OS Northings: 175236
OS Grid: ST576752
Mapcode National: GBR C4B.F8
Mapcode Global: VH88M.P6CH
Entry Name: Numbers 7 and 8 and Attached Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 3 April 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379058
Location: Bristol, BS6
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Redland
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Westbury Park St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5775 CAMBRIDGE PARK, Redland
901-1/31/1696 (South East side)
03/04/77 Nos.7 AND 8
and attached walls and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Pair of attached houses. 1865. By WH Hawtin. Limestone ashlar,
ridge and lateral stacks and concrete tile hipped roof.
Double-depth plan. Italianate style. Each of 2 storeys and
attic; 2-window range.
A symmetrical pair has the middle set forward, with
single-storey porches on the returns; banded ground floor to a
moulded band, first-floor sill band, frieze and cornice, and
full attic storey to overhanging eaves. The right-hand porch
has semicircular-arched doorway with key and imposts,
plate-glass fanlight and 2-panel door.
To the left the ground floor has been extended forward with a
tripartite window with eared architrave, console keys and
guilloche jambs, and single-storey end porch with large
consoles carved with flowers to a broken pediment containing a
shell, a left-hand window with scrolled key to architrave,
parapet with blind sections of circles and half-circles, and
steps up with a good globe lamp to the gableted pier; slender
octagonal stack to the side.
Canted bays to the middle have semicircular-arched windows
with keys and imposts, thin hoods curled up at the ends, and
paired brackets to cornice which is arched over the middle;
balustrade with circles and half-circles. Ground and
first-floor windows have architraves and sill blocks:
semicircular-arched outer ground-floor windows, segmental
above, tripartite to the middle with ears and a segmental hood
to the middle; similar flat-headed attic windows with raised
surrounds; 2/2-pane sashes. INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden balustrades and
panelled, capped piers. One of a group of 7 matching houses, 3
of which differ in having projecting wings instead of centres.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 277).
Listing NGR: ST5763875236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings