History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5069 / 51°30'24"N

Longitude: -2.6308 / 2°37'51"W

OS Eastings: 356313

OS Northings: 178850

OS Grid: ST563788

Mapcode National: GBR JP.J6Y2

Mapcode Global: VH88F.CD15

Entry Name: Village Hall

Listing Date: 20 March 1974

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379157

Location: Bristol, BS10

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Henbury and Brentry

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Henbury

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Pill

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5678NW CHURCH LANE, Henbury
901-1/17/1337 (East side)
20/03/74 Village Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH LANE
Henbury School)

GV II

School, now village hall. 1830. By Thomas Rickman. Squared,
coursed Lias with limestone dressings and slate roof. Central
hall with cross-wing at each end. Tudor Revival style. 2
storeys; 3-window range. Central Tudor-arched door in label
mould with a ribbed door, beneath a panel inscribed FOUNDED
1624/ BY ANTHONY EDMONDS/ REBUILT 1830; paired lancet
left-hand windows in a label mould, and similar single-light
windows to the right; above the door is a shallow canted oriel
with ogee cinquefoil-headed lights and a crenellated parapet,
and a gabled dormer with a small chamfered window; octagonal
finials to the corners and to the dormer. INTERIOR: entrance
hall and flight of stairs to the right, with a hall behind.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Charity School stood on the site from
1601 until the current building replaced it.
(Hallen and Henbury Women's Institute: A Guide to Henbury:
Bristol: 1970-: 15).


Listing NGR: ST5631378850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.