This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4744 / 51°28'27"N
Longitude: -2.6398 / 2°38'23"W
OS Eastings: 355656
OS Northings: 175247
OS Grid: ST556752
Mapcode National: GBR JN.LBPP
Mapcode Global: VH88M.668J
Entry Name: Walls and Gazebo Along North West Side of Sanctuary Gardens
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379168
Location: Bristol, BS9
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
901-1/53/1778 CHURCH ROAD
04-MAR-77 SNEYD PARK
WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE
OF SANCTUARY GARDENS
(Formerly listed as:
WALL AND GAZEBO TO SANCTUARY GARDENS O
N SOUTH SIDE 100 YARDS NORTH EAST OF K
Wall and gazebo. c1880. Squared Lias rubble, red brick and limestone dressings. Apsidal gazebo and two flanking walls immediately to either side of the gazebo. Byzantine style. Segmental arch over the front of the gazebo, which has a back wall with a Lias plinth, alternate courses of red brick and coursed limestone, below an arcade of semicircular arches; either side at the rear are buttresses. The wall to the left has 2 lunettes. The wall to the right is blind but has the same banding of the gazebo.
INTERIOR: a mosaic floor and coved, wooden panelled ceiling. In front are 4 octagonal piers, presumably from a pergola as well as a series of low walls defining a circular courtyard with central plain fountain.
HISTORY: Sneyd Park House was built in 1880 for the Mardon family: Henry Dare Bryan was its designer who was almost certainly responsible for this garden feature too. Sneyd Park House and its two lodges, located to the south east, are listed separately.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Given their fine architectural detailing and their importance in the former gardens related to this 1880 house by Henry Bryan, the gazebo and immediately adjacent sections of wall in banded brick and limestone clearly merit their listed status. Although clearly of local interest, the other stretches of wall from Sneyd Park Gardens are not sufficiently complete and lack the architectural detailing required for listing.
Listing NGR: ST5565675247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings