History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Cotham, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4642 / 51°27'51"N

Longitude: -2.5951 / 2°35'42"W

OS Eastings: 358752

OS Northings: 174079

OS Grid: ST587740

Mapcode National: GBR C8F.1Z

Mapcode Global: VH88M.YGXD

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379185

Location: Bristol, BS6

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Cotham

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Matthew and St Nathanael

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST315874 CLARE ROAD, Cotham
901-1/35/1156 (South side)
01/11/66 Church of St Matthew

II

Church. 1833-5. By Thomas Rickman. Altered c1989. Pennant
rubble and limestone dressings, roof not visible. Aisled nave
and W tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style.
A large 6-light transomed window in the gabled E end, with
sill and hood drips, flanked by octagonal ashlar corner
turrets with trefoil-panelled crenellated parapets; 4-centred
arched ribbed aisle doors with narrow trefoiled one-light
windows. N aisle has 5 bays each with 3-light transomed
windows separated by thin buttresses, with an ashlar
crenellated parapet; the clerestory windows have 2 lights and
are blind below the transom, with a parapet above. Similar S
aisle.
The W front has a central 4-stage tower with diagonal
buttresses and an octagonal SW stair turret, diminishing
sharply at weathered stages to a slender spirelet; 4-centred
door in a label with foliage to the spandrels, 2-light
2nd-stage transomed window, and round, blind panel to 3rd
stage; tall 2-light louvred belfry windows with transoms and
cinquefoil heads, cornice parapet and pinnacles; 4-centred
panelled doors to aisles, blocked to make a half-blind window
to the S.
INTERIOR: 4-bay arcade of thin, square-section chamfered
shafts to wide 4-centred arches; niches with corbelled bases
and crocketed ogee hoods and finials between the arches; flat,
panelled ceiling. A c1989 mezzanine has been inserted at the
height of the old galleries, with stairs up from the W, and
the bottoms of the columns enclosed; below are offices and
meeting rooms, services are held in the upper part.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 293).


Listing NGR: ST5875274079

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.