This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4537 / 51°27'13"N
Longitude: -2.6139 / 2°36'49"W
OS Eastings: 357440
OS Northings: 172929
OS Grid: ST574729
Mapcode National: GBR C3K.VQ
Mapcode Global: VH88M.NQ0F
Entry Name: Bishop's House
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379235
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton
901-1/14/776 (North West side)
08/01/59 Bishop's House
House. Dated 1711. Possibly by John Strachan. Limestone
ashlar, render, gable stacks and slate hipped roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys, attic and
basement; 7-window range. A good symmetrical front with a
2-window left-hand wing; the central 1-window entrance section
is banded and broken forward, banded outer pilasters, to a
frieze and cornice, with a parapet with balustraded sections
to the windows and urns on the corners. The doorway has fluted
Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze and segmental dated
pediment, rectangular fanlight and 6-panel door. The window
above has a pediment, keyed architraves and segmental heads,
flat to the left-hand section, to 6/6-pane sashes. Tooled
Pennant ground-floor quoin strip to the left-hand corner.
INTERIOR: good joinery, large central entrance stair hall
divided by a segmental arch with fluted pilasters, with half
panelling, to a rear open-well stair with column-on-vase
balusters, ramped moulded rail and a wide curtail;
fully-panelled right-hand front room has a marble fire
surround; panelled shutters and 6-panel doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the first of an important group of early and
mid C18 houses built in Clifton. Attribution on stylistic
(Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 14; Gomme
A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History:
Bristol: 1979-: 123).
Listing NGR: ST5743972931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings