History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Fountain and Horse Trough at Junction with Summerhill Road

A Grade II Listed Building in St George West, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4604 / 51°27'37"N

Longitude: -2.543 / 2°32'34"W

OS Eastings: 362368

OS Northings: 173636

OS Grid: ST623736

Mapcode National: GBR CMH.P9

Mapcode Global: VH88N.VKY8

Entry Name: Drinking Fountain and Horse Trough at Junction with Summerhill Road

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379286

Location: Bristol, BS5

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: St George West

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Aidan with St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST67SW CLOUDS HILL ROAD, St George
901-1/56/1836 (South side)
04/03/77 Drinking fountain and horse trough
at junction with Summerhill Road
(Formerly Listed as:
CLOUDS HILL ROAD
Drinking Fountain at the
intersection of A420 and A431)

II

Drinking fountain and horse trough. Dated 1890. Erected by
William Butler. Portland ashlar, polished red granite plaques
and grey granite trough, and Pennant flags. Square in plan.
Pointed arches to each elevation with a chamfered plinth,
cable mould reveals and linked hoodmoulds with floral
archivolts. Domed roof and round finial. Plain door to back,
bronze lion-head fountains and iron basins on each side with
red granite surrounds, and red granite plaque on the front
honouring William Butler, who presented the fountain to the
people of St George. Horse trough in front protected by 2
bollards. The fountain sits on a low Pennant plinth.


Listing NGR: ST6236873636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.