This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4516 / 51°27'5"N
Longitude: -2.6018 / 2°36'6"W
OS Eastings: 358279
OS Northings: 172687
OS Grid: ST582726
Mapcode National: GBR C6L.KG
Mapcode Global: VH88M.VSD1
Entry Name: The Great Gatehouse
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379315
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NW COLLEGE GREEN
901-1/15/73 (South side)
04/03/77 The Great Gatehouse
Gatehouse. C12 archway built for Augustinian abbey founded
1140, included in late C15 gatehouse, restored and extended
mid C19 by J Pearson. Limestone ashlar with exterior stacks
and a lead roof. Single-depth plan. Norman style gateways,
Perpendicular Gothic style gatehouse and tower. 3 storeys;
A central gatehouse has a finely carved semicircular-arched
C12 gateway, with twisted columns to an arch with beaded
chevrons, and an architrave with Celtic-style interlacing. The
S side has 3 orders with cushion capitals. C19 buttresses, C15
inscribed cornice, and rosettes to the spandrels, beneath a
2-storey canted oriel with 4-light mullion and transom
windows, raised flowers to the panels beneath, and flanking
2-storey statue niches with canted canopies and statues of
kings. A band of quatrefoil panels below a cornice, blind
panelling to the crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles
to the angles.
The single-storey gatehouse to the right has a smaller
pedestrian archway, similar mouldings, but with the architrave
inside the arch. C15 first-floor mullion window with
Tudor-arched heads. C19 single-storey block to the left has an
angle buttress, and a 2-centre doorway in the return with a
crocketed hood, and ridged door.
Behind is a C15 three-stage tower with moulded strings and
matching panelled parapet, and an exterior stack with panelled
top. In the re-entrant is an octagonal stair turret to a
panelled top, and a crocketed ogee cap. The rear elevation has
4 storeys of 3-light mullion windows.
INTERIOR: the main archway has 2 quadripartite vaulted bays
separated by a chevron-moulded arch; the sides have arcades of
pointed-arched niches formed from intersecting semicircular
arches, with columns to cushion capitals and rope mouldings.
The Gatehouse has upstairs rooms with Tudor-arched fireplaces,
and oriels with tracery panels to the soffits; stone winder
The decoration of the arches and inner sides of the archway,
with the Chapter House (qv), is among the earliest use of the
pointed arch, and '...anticipated the impending Gothic'
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 386).
Listing NGR: ST5828472684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings