History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4561 / 51°27'22"N

Longitude: -2.5974 / 2°35'50"W

OS Eastings: 358586

OS Northings: 173186

OS Grid: ST585731

Mapcode National: GBR C7J.JV

Mapcode Global: VH88M.XNQL

Entry Name: Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379353

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5873SE COLSTON STREET
901-1/11/75 (East side)
08/01/59 Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne

GV II*

Chapel. 1504. Refaced and roofed 1861 by Foster and Wood,
restored 1865, most of the carvings from then. Squared coursed
limestone and Pennant rubble, with limestone dressings and
tiled roof. Nave. Pennant W and S sides and upper section of N
side: a roll-top coping to end gables and side parapets, with
Tudor-arched windows; 4-light E window with panel tracery,
hoodmould with diamond stops, single N window with
intersecting tracery, and trace of an arched doorway at the
right-hand end. The W gable has a doorway with panelled
reveals and soffit to double doors, an ogee hood with crockets
and finial, carved tympanum, and carved head stops. 3 statue
niches above on carved bases, canted canopies with attached
finials and pinnacles containing mid C20 statues; on the gable
is a square bellcote with angle buttresses and a weathered
ogee cap and finial. INTERIOR: canopied niches either side at
the E end, and a Royal Arms above the entrance. C19 half
panelling and pews.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 315; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in
Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 28).


Listing NGR: ST5858673186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.