History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cook's Folly House trinder House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Bishop, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4718 / 51°28'18"N

Longitude: -2.6395 / 2°38'22"W

OS Eastings: 355680

OS Northings: 174948

OS Grid: ST556749

Mapcode National: GBR JN.LJRR

Mapcode Global: VH88M.68GL

Entry Name: Cook's Folly House trinder House

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379360

Location: Bristol, BS9

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST57SE COOK'S FOLLY ROAD, Sneyd Park
901-1/55/1782 (South West side)
04/03/77 Nos.5 AND 6
Cook's Folly House (5) and Trinder
House (6)
(Formerly Listed as:
COOK'S FOLLY ROAD
Nos.5 AND 6
Cook's Folly House)

II

House, now attached pair. 1858. Pennant rubble with limestone
dressings, roof not visible. Picturesque Gothic Revival style.
Irregular double-depth plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic;
8-window range.
An asymmetrical composition with scattered fenestration to a
left-hand octagonal tower and right-hand round one, with
flanking walls.
The entrance to No.6 in the parapeted right-hand screen wall
has a wide 2-centred arched doorway, 2-leaf door and mullion
overlight; the large round tower has a central doorway, a drip
with small heads, and corbel table below a tall crenellated
parapet; windows have flat arches and metal casements.
The entrance to No.5 is in the 3-storey octagonal tower, and
is set in a battered wall with a bracketed 2-centre arch to a
2-leaf door with scrolled strap hinges, below an angled
2-light oriel, drip and tall crenellated parapet; windows have
shallow 2-centre arch lintels and plate-glass sashes. The left
corner has a slender octagonal machicolated and crenellated
turret.
INTERIOR: few period details survive; C20 panelling and dogleg
stairs. The design was originally a romantic counterpart to
Cook's Folly, built by John Cook as a prospect tower in 1696,
and visible in many topographical views of the Avon Gorge. It
was removed in 1892.


Listing NGR: ST5568074948

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.