History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bristol Commercial Rooms and Attached Area Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4545 / 51°27'16"N

Longitude: -2.5945 / 2°35'40"W

OS Eastings: 358790

OS Northings: 172998

OS Grid: ST587729

Mapcode National: GBR C8K.6G

Mapcode Global: VH88M.ZP8W

Entry Name: Bristol Commercial Rooms and Attached Area Railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379373

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5872NE CORN STREET, Centre
901-1/16/567 (North West side)
08/01/59 No.43
Bristol Commercial Rooms and
attached area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
CORN STREET
(North side)
No.43
Bristol Commercial Rooms)

GV II*

Club, above bank vault now restaurant. 1810. By CA Busby.
Sculpture by JG Bubb. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Open
plan. Neoclassical style. Single storey and basement; 2-window
range.
A symmetrical front has a pedimented Ionic tetrastyle front,
with a recessed centre and single windows each side, a sill
band, entablature and blocking course, and tall parapet set
back with a dentil cornice and blocking course. 2 doorways
have architraves to half-glazed double doors beneath a dentil
cornice round the central recess, with a wide panel above of
Britannia being brought the 4 corners of the world.
The windows have panelled aprons, carved sill blocks,
architraves and pediments. Above are 2 female statues flanking
Britannia to the middle with a spear and shield. Left-hand
marble winder steps down to a basement doorway with a coffered
segmental head, marble-lined area in front with green marble
pilasters, panelled double doors and overlight; in front are
double cast-iron gates with turned balusters, and cartouches
inscribed THE OCEAN SAFE DEPOSIT.
INTERIOR: large club room with a dentil cornice, rectangular
ceiling opening with panelled spandrels to a glazed drum, with
caryatids and lattice glazing to a domed ceiling; 2 fire
surrounds each side have black reeded jambs to corner
roundels, and an Ionic tetrastyle timber screen to the rear;
at the S end is a clock, and the N end a matching dial giving
wind direction; the doorway into the room has a good shell
hood and pediment above.
Rear left-hand dining room has a crested cornice and balcony,
now floored over, with bowed cast-iron railings, and black
marble Egyptian Revival-style fire surround with battered
jambs and reeded coved corbels to the mantel shelf; entrance
lobby lined with green marble, with brown faience dressings to
doorways, and green coffered faience ceiling. Details of the
basement include a marble lined and floored lobby with green
marble pilasters and architrave to a half-glazed door, a
panelled left-hand room with festoon, moulded beams and black
and white marble floor, and a steel-lined former security
vault to the right-hand side with safe doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area cast-iron railings
with diagonal bars to central circles, and posts for sliding
gates.
Bristol's first building with Neoclassical awareness of
accurate historical precedence, following on from Harrison's
Lyceum in Liverpool. Used as club for mercantile interests,
hence the wind vane indicator to advise on the arrival of
shipping.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 232; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 424).


Listing NGR: ST5879072998

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.