History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in South Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7695 / 53°46'10"N

Longitude: -0.6004 / 0°36'1"W

OS Eastings: 492347

OS Northings: 431263

OS Grid: SE923312

Mapcode National: GBR SS7V.TG

Mapcode Global: WHGFF.RJ92

Entry Name: Market Hall

Listing Date: 7 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164798

Location: South Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: South Cave

Built-Up Area: South Cave

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: South Cave All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
South Cave

Listing Text

SOUTH CAVE MARKET PLACE
SE 93 SW
(east side)
2/44 Market Hall
7.2.68
GV II
Market hall, now town hall. 1796 on datestone, with bell tower of 1897.
Yellow brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. 2 storeys, 3 bays: centre bay
breaks forward slightly under low pediment. Ground floor: 3 steps to
loggia. Wide round-headed arch on stone imposts flanked by narrower,
similar, arches, all closed by wooden grilles with trellised centre rails.
First-floor band. To centre bay an oval cartouche with the words 'Erected
in the year 1796' beneath a tripartite sash with glazing bars, flanked to
right and to left by sashes with glazing bars, all under flat brick arches
and connected by a sill band. Dentilled eaves and raked cornices, (of
bricks on their edges); to the centre of the pediment is another oval
cartouche decorated with a floral motif. Hipped roof. Bell tower: 4 sided
with a clock face on three sides and a painted inscription on the,fourth:
above that is an open octagonal belfry with round-headed openings and impost
band. Dentilled cornice, baroque dome with ball finial and weather-vane.
Interior: first-floor meeting room with dado rail and deeply coved ceiling.


Listing NGR: SE9234731262

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.