This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6261 / 54°37'33"N
Longitude: -2.0828 / 2°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 394754
OS Northings: 525663
OS Grid: NY947256
Mapcode National: GBR FGWY.WG
Mapcode Global: WHB3X.ZZCG
Entry Name: Belfry 100 Metres North of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 December 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111933
Location: Middleton in Teesdale, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Middleton in Teesdale
Built-Up Area: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
MIDDLETON IN TEESDALE TOWN HEAD
NY 9425 (East side, off)
24/132 Belfry 100 metres
31/12/74 north of Church
of St. Mary
Belfry. Said to be circa 1567 for gift of 3 bells. Sandstone rubble with
millstone grit quoins and ashlar dressings; stone-flagged roof with stone
gable copings. 2 storeys, one bay. Gabledsouth elevation has wide slit at
left on ground floor; flat stone mullion and surround to 2-light louvred
opening in gable peak; gable has triangular-block edges, and coping on curved
kneelers. Right return has boarded door with irregular-block jambs and flat
stone lintel to left of centre; 2-light flat-mullioned bell opening above;
slight projection at right.
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: NY9475425663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings