History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cromwell House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8468 / 51°50'48"N

Longitude: -1.3541 / 1°21'14"W

OS Eastings: 444592

OS Northings: 216667

OS Grid: SP445166

Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.0JB

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.HV03

Entry Name: Cromwell House

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253095

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock (West Oxfordshire) B

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK HIGH STREET
SP4416NE (South side)
10/103 No.28 (Cromwell House)
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as
"Cromwell's House")
GV II
House. Mid C17, with early C19 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled
stone slate roof; brick rear stack. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; 2-window
range. Early C19 open-pedimented hood over ten-panelled door with overlight to
left. Segmental-arched blocked openings behind door and to right. Early C19
two-storey bow window with sashes to right. Mid C17 chamfered stone-mullioned
and transomed cross windows on first floor. C17 dentilled wood cornice; C20
hipped roof dormers. Early C18 two-storey wing to rear of limestone rubble and
with added C20 storey and gabled concrete tile roof. Early C20 extension to rear
left. Interior: much restored mid C17 dog-leg staircase. Early C18 bolection
panelling in rear right room. First floor room not fully inspected but noted as
having early C18 fireplace with panelled over mantel. From 1675 it was occupied
by John Cary, a lawyer and agent for various local aristocrats, who claimed to
have been a royal servant for every seventeenth century King: he entertained
William III at this house in 1698. Formerly part of a large house divided up
after 1750 and on site of Nos.30-36 High Street.
(Information from the VCH)


Listing NGR: SP4459216666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.