This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2717 / 51°16'18"N
Longitude: 1.2125 / 1°12'45"E
OS Eastings: 624178
OS Northings: 157412
OS Grid: TR241574
Mapcode National: GBR VZS.7C1
Mapcode Global: VHLGP.Y9WF
Entry Name: Wingham Court and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178374
Location: Wingham, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Wingham
Built-Up Area: Wingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 2457 WINGHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
9/342 Wingham Court
and Garden Wall.
House. C15, extended 1574, and reclad early C18 and early C19. Timber
framed and clad with red brick and rendered to entrance elevation. Plain
tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth with boxed eaves to roof with hip to left
end, and shaped gable to right, with iron wall ties initialled W:C; projecting
stack at end right, and cluster to centre left. Four glazing-bar sashes on
first, and 2 tripartite and one single glazing-bar sashes on ground floor.
Door of 8 panels to centre left in panelled surround with pediment on
engaged Doric columns. Projectiong rear wings to main range also with shaped
gables. Extended to left by framed building with painted brick infill,
one storey and attic with 3 hipped dormers and stack to rear right. One
canted bay with glazing-bar sashes, and one bay to right with large tripartite
glazing bar sash. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels, the top 2 glazed, with
flat hood on brackets. Wall to right C18, of red brick, swept down twice to
about 5 feet and buttressed, and returned to east and south along road front
for about 50 yards, terminated by pier with ball finial. Interior: main
range originally four framed bays with central left cross-passage. Crown-post
roof. Well within south wing. Attached single-storey range with stack
dated 1574. Panelled interiors. The house was the manor house of the
Archbishop's manor of Wingham, and here they and the great of the time
were frequent residents. (B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 500; A. Hussey, Chronicles
of Wingham, 1896; Dr.
Listing NGR: TR2417857411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings